AAUW Lake Oswego Branch
Welcome to an organization of members from Lake Oswego, West Linn, and surrounding communities. We are dedicated to advancing equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research. Study, special interest, and social groups are formed to meet the needs of members and to further AAUW goals. AAUW, founded in 1881, is open to all graduates who hold the Associate or higher degree from a college or university on the AAUW list of qualified institutions. In principle and in practice AAUW values and seeks a diverse membership. There shall be no barriers to full participation in this organization on the basis of gender, race, creed, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or class. The branch supports AAUW Funds as well as providing a local scholarship at Marylhurst University.
The AAUW Funds are a family of national funds which help to fulfill the mission of AAUW.
- The Educational Opportunities Fund provides more than $3 million each year for women from 120 nations to pursue post graduate degrees.
- The Eleanor Roosevelt Fund supports research to provide analysis, data, and accurate information about issues that are important to women and girls. Past reports include Behind the Pay Gap (2007) and Where the Girls Are (2008).
- The Legal Advocacy Fund supports the protection of the legal rights of those who are facing discrimination.
- The Leadership Programs Fund supports programs that develop women’s potential to lead in their schools, communities, and country.
- The Public Policy Fund supports advocacy for public policies and laws that are fair to women.
The Lake Oswego Branch members donate to the AAUW Funds through fundraising efforts and direct contributions. Donations to the above funds are tax-deductible. Gifts of $25 or more may be designated as tributes or memorials.
The Lake Oswego Branch maintains a web site which provides a source of information to its members in addition to a newsletter which informs the membership on a monthly basis.